Friday, March 11, 2011

Surgery Day!!!! Right Ear Atresia Repair, Thursday March 10, 2011

We had to arrive at the surgery center at 6 a.m. however we got there about 5:45, we have been giving ourselves extra time for our appointments, we don't want to be late.  We signed in and then filled out some paperwork and waited for a few.  When they called Davin's name all 3 of us went back with Davin.  Davin was ok, but he was a little antsy, he didn't like being told that he had to stay on the bed and didn't really want his ID bracelet on, well actually he wanted to put it on by himself, lol.  The nurse spoke with us, then we were introduced to a couple nurses that would be in the OR with Davin.  The anesthesiologist came in and explained everything that he would be doing to Davin.  Then they had me try to give Davin the "loopy" medicine, yeah that didn't go over to well, he spit it out all over and we had to change his gown.  He kept spitting while we were talking to people, it was yucky, even the nurses and doctors agreed that it was. 
Here is a picture that Dustin took in the pre-op room
It was now time for Davin to go back, they had me carry him to the doors into the OR and I handed him off to the anesthesiologist.  I was fine up until that part, then the tears came, however I was at peace because I knew that he was in the best hands possible and God was watching over him.  I had been updating my friends and family on Facebook, I will be putting the exact status updates below.  Just to let everyone know, my reasons for involving Facebook, I have a lot of friends that were counting on being able to keep up to date on Davin.  A lot of people out there love and care so much for him and have supported our journey so far, so it's only fair to continue that for them.  Some may not agree with my choice in doing so but we have had many discussions about it and found it to be just fine for our situation, the same reason I have this blog.

Davin's surgery started @ 7:07 a.m. 

Facebook Update @ 8:34 a.m. "About an hour ago a nurse came out and said that Davin went to sleep good & his IV and breathing tube was in. She said he didn't cry after I left him, he was saying "HI" and talking to everyone, yup that sounds like Davin. :-) We have been talking to another couple who's son is here for a revision surgery, he had the same surgery as Davin 4 years ago."

Facebook Update @ 9:48 a.m.  "One of the doctors just came out, surgery is over and everything went great. His middle ear bones looked great which means it's the best case scenario for hearing!!! Now we wait for the main Doctor to come out, and then for him to go into recovery then I will go in with him. Praying that Davin doesn't freak out, he is pretty "stubborn". lol"

Davin was out of surgery at about 9:45 and I was able to go into recovery with him at about 10.  He was still asleep. 

Facebook Update @ 11:46  "Davin's still sleeping, on me. Waiting for him to wake fully (he's woken up briefly a few times), if he doesn't wake up in about 15 mins they are going to try & wake him."

Facebook Update @ 1:55  "We are back at the hotel. Davin had a fever so we had to wait to make sure it went down. Crazy enough we can already notice a difference in his hearing and he's all wrapped up with stuff in his new canal. We are elated, and so overwhelmed with emotions, good ones! Thank you everyone for keeping us in your thoughts & prayers, it really means so much to us!"

After he woke up
At the hotel just a few hours later...amazing!!!  Sitting with his bear and froggy, they had surgery too :-)


Here is an amazing video of Davin, he can hear me talking to him in a quiet voice without his hearing aids on!!!! I may sound loud to you because I am right by the camera but I am definitely speaking in a lower than regular voice. I LOVE Dr. Roberson!!! This makes everything worth it, and it was only 7 hours after his surgery. :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment